Monday, April 09, 2007

YouTube and the election

Well, I'm back in Norman and have just a month left of school. First year of college flew by pretty fast, but it was also a great experience. Easter was just fine and dandy, I got Caddy Shack from the "Easter Bunny" which I will watch sometime this week. I have been taking time to post because I enjoy blogging but I also want it to be about something of interest. A topic that (hopefully) will not bore you away from my page.


On my way from Dallas to Norman I plugged in my mp3 player (an old school Creative 256MB) to a FM transmitter and found a station full of static, just what I needed. Before I left home, I loaded up some podcasts (for those of you who don't know, a podcast is sort of like a radio show but it can be downloaded and listened to whenever you like; Wikipedia Link) to listen to but to my dismay, my AAA battery was running out of life! Luckily there was just enough battery to listen to about three podcasts. The last one I listened to was a show called Cranky Geeks (Episode 57), a show hosted by long time tech journalist John C. Dvorak (dvorak.org/blog) and they talked about the internet being utilized in the upcoming election. On YouTube, a mash up of the 1984 Apple Super Bowl commercial (Original Commercial) was released with Hillary Clinton as the talking head and the girl with the sledge hammer wearing the Barack Obama logo (Link). This ad has caused a bit of controversy because the creator of the video mash up is unknown, so it could be anyone.


On Cranky Geeks, the panel discussed what they thought would happen with sites like YouTube and MySpace. I wrote about the primary elections on MySpace a few days ago which you can find a link to on the right side of the page. YouTube in the election seems very intriguing, could this be the election where we see the highest 18-34 year old turnout since the seventies? On many of the candidates MySpace profiles, videos have shown up of the candidates speaking to the viewer as if they were one-on-one. This provides candidates a way to speak to voters without the media being involved or having to explain their platforms in thirty seconds. YouTube videos also let regular people like you and I create video questions for the candidates to answer--and many times they will. Advertisers will also be able to advertise to a greater number of people for half of the cost. Will the Internet play a large role in the 2008 election? I think it will effect us in a way larger than any of us can imagine. So many people's lives in my generation (18-34) revolve around the Internet and thus far these candidates have done an exceptional job of tailoring to us. If you are 18 or older (or are going to be 18 or older) by November 4, 2008, listen to what the candidates have to say and vote for one that you agree with, not the one with the biggest fan base or money. Use the resources on the Internet and vote with your brain.

Here are some more thoughts from another blogger on the Election and MySpace: (Link)

-Jamie

5 comments:

  1. > I think it will in a way larger than any of us can imagine.

    I totally agree. Check out my own website on the subject. It's an attempt to organize the YouTube videos by issue...

    www.ExpertVoter.org

    What do you think? It's not very flashy, but I think it would make a good reference for all the internet-oriented voters.

    gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gary!

    That is an awesome site and I've already bookmarked it. I will keep checking it to see the new videos. Thanks for the input on this topic, I think its gonna be a big deal in this upcoming election.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    Of the issues listed on the grid (Iraq, Immigration, etc), how close is this to your own list of issues? Did I miss any that you would have included?

    gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of the issues pretty much cover everything the candidates are talking about. I don't think anything is left off.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I'm really asking if the issues important to YOU are covered, not what issues are important to the candidates. If those are one is the same, no problem.

    As I see it, it's younger people such as yourself who have the most vested in the outcome. So I ask because I want to make sure it's not just geared towards older people such as myself.

    gary

    ReplyDelete